After the death of his father King George V and the scandalous abdication of King Edward VIII, Bertie who has suffered from a debilitating speech impediment all his life, is suddenly crowned King George VI of England.With his country on the brink of war and in desperate need of a leader, his wife, Elizabeth, the future Queen Mother, arranges for her
husband to see an eccentric speech therapist, Lionel Logue. After a rough start, the two delve into an unorthodox course of treatment and eventually form an unbreakable bond. With the support of Logue, his family, his government and Winston Churchill, the King will overcome his stammer and deliver a radio-address that inspires his people and unites them in battle. Based on the true story of King George VI,THE KING’S SPEECH follows the Royal Monarch’s quest to find his voice.
Answer the questions as comments on this post.
DUE DATE: August 6th 2013 🙂
1. Describe Bertie, his wife and Dr Logue.
2. How is class difference made clear in the movie? Provide specific examples from scenes in the movie. (One good example is enough).
3. In the scene where David is looking for more champagne (58:53), Bertie warns him about a threat. What threat is that? Who will, according to David, sort him out?
4. In the conversation between Bertie and Winston Churchill, what are Churchill’s fears? (1:09:10)
5. Why does David, Bertie’s eldest brother, decline the throne?
6. How did Dr Logue start working as a speech therapist?
7. What is the humorous reference to Hitler as the Royal family watch the recording of the coronation?
8. Why does Prime Minister Baldwin resign?
9. What is the atmosphere in Dr Logue’s home as the listen to the radio broadcast on September 3rd, 1939?
10. Read through the King’s Speech. Transcribe the most significant part for you and explain why you made your choice. (Use link! 😉