On May 7, 1919, the draft text of the Treaty of Versailles was handed over to the German delegation for its perusal. The German government’s chief representative, Count Ulrich Graf von Brockdorff-Rantzau, made his displeasure known by remaining seated while making his speech accepting the treaty for revision, a major breach of diplomatic protocol. Over the next month and a half the new German republic fought the terms of the treaty by stalling, writing letters of observation that amounted to protest, and considering the possibility of renewing the war—all while a British naval blockade of their ports, in place since 1914, starved their people of trade in foodstuffs and thus applied intense pressure to Germany to sign the treaty. Finally, on June 28, 1919, the Treaty of Versailles was signed in a climate of icy tension in the Hall of Mirrors in the Palace of Versailles, where the unification of the German Empire had been declared in 1871.
Below is the pdf file with the questions you have to answer as you watch the documentary. For Tuesday, May 8th you may only answer the first 9 questions. You can complete the rest for Friday, May 11th.
Study Guide: The Rise of Hitler
1- 1889 Hitler was born in Austria-Hungary.
1905 Hitler moved to Vienna
1907 His mother died.
1914 Hitler avoid the military service but then he went as a soder in WWI
2- He had to take the messages from trench to trench saying the what the soldiers shouldd do. It was a very dangerous and risky because it was esay to be kill.After the war he got together all the members of the pollitical right wing. He created the flag than later on was going to be the symbol of the Nazi. He started to speak out and show the people the advantages of supporting the right wing and he gave show also his opinions.
3- Hitler tought as a normal German, he didnt like it at all, he thought it was very harsh the Treaty of Versailles because they were punished for something that he did it with all the countries that participated of the war. So he didnt like the Kaiser because he signed the Treaty of Versailles.
4- Ludendorff and Hindenburg hated the jews bacuase they thought that they had an umpatriotic behaviour so they made a recount of the Jews in the army.
5- Hitler said that ,” The German boy must be slim,with long limbs, rapid as a hare, tough as leather and solid as steel” He wanted to create a new race called the Arian race, having blond hair, being slim and havving blue eyes.
6- The first democratic president was Ebbert and he had opposition from the right wing and the left wing.
7- There was a revolution in Germany. One condition of the Treaty of Versailles said that they had to be more democratic so ebbert , who brought a new democratic system, was chose. All the poblation had to accept the new democratic system and Ebbert said that they could have the freedom to vote, to talk and give their opinion. This government had oposition from the right wing and the left wing. In the left wing they hay they had the people that wanted Germany to be a communism country, they wanted to be like Russia, they were called the Spartacists. And in the right wing they had the ones who wanted a dictatorship like they had when the Kaiser was the leadership of the country.
8- Hitler created the National Socialist German Workers Party.
9- Because he thought that he would have the supot of the nationals militants.
10- His early followers were Rudolf Hess, Hermann Goering, and Rosenberg.
11- Germany missed a reparation payment so France with Belguim invaded the RUHR and started to take goods so the german workers went on strike. Like they had no money they started to print paper money. Like tall the people carried around with a lot of money with themselves the wages rocketed and german´s currency became worthless. There were some rebelions in Berlin, Munich, Thuringia and Rhneland. The groups were Black Reichswehr, nazis, and comunists.
12- They union between Lydendorff and Hitler was because they had the same opinons about Germany and lidership. and the consequences were that Ludendorff made Hitler to open his view more and had more ideas.The reasons of their union was that they thought very similar and the consequenses were that he opened new perspectives of ideas.
13- The next president was Hindenburg
14- He wrote his second book and this one was much more sold o and he went out rich. He came out of jail with 3 principles, Putsch replaced by legal tactics,Centralised organization to separeta the parties and Hitler, and absolute obedience to Hitler, the Fuhrer.
15-Both used violent methods but after the Munich Putsch Hitler decided in jail that he would use diplomatic. Both lead there countries in the same sort of way.
16-” The masses are feminim and stupid, only and emotion and haterest can keep them under control” He stated.
17- The depression, The crush of 1929 in USA.
18- I think that is a very good document, and I thinks that is great and I think that they did a great job recycling the images and videos. I think that this video made us very clear how was germany in those years and the rise of Hitler.
1. 1889: He is born in Austria-Hungary, in Braunau, a small town in the border with the German empire.
1897: At the age of 8 he was in a monastery. He admired the priests’ self-sacrifice and sense of mision. He noticed a cross in the monastery, wich inspired the nazi emblem later.
1907: His mother dies from Cancer.
1908: He moves to Vienna. He wanted to be an artist but he was rejected
1914: He avoids military service. (But later he goes to the WW1)
2. Adolf Hitler carried messages from trench to trench delivering the soldiers their orders. He became a fanatical nationalist and in the trenches it was known that one day he would bear witness and stand up for its companion’s misery.
3. He, as all the Germans, thought the Treaty of Versailles was really harsh. France He was against the Kaiser. He thought signing the treaty was a wrong idea.
4. Ludendorff & Hindenburg were two ultra-nationalist and racist men. They made a recount of the Jewish soldiers in the German army because they suspected them of having an unpatriotic behaviour.
5. The Aryan stereotype consisted in being slim with long limbs, being blond and having blue eyes. ‘’Rapid as a hare, Though as leather and solid as steel’’
6. The first democratic president in Germany was Ebert.
7. Germany was in revolution. Communists, the Royalists and the Nationalists were the groups that attacked the democratic government.
8. Hitler created the National Socialist German Workers Party
9. He supported the anti Semitism because he thought it would catch the nationalists militants.
1. He was born in 1889, in Austria-Hungary. During his childhood, his family moved to Germany. He used to sing in a monastery, where he found a cross which would be the future nazi symbol. In 1908 he moved to Viena, where he stayed in a boarding house for men.
2. During World War 1, he was the “message carrier”. He delivered soldiers orders running from trench to trench. It was a dangerous job because he could be killed by a shell or a bullet. He was very exposed to a lot of dangers while he was out of the trench.
3. As the regular German, he thought that the Treaty of Versailles was incredibly harsh towards Germany. After it, they hated the French more than anyone, but they didn’t hae resources to strike back.
4. Ludendorff and Hindenburg had a special hatred towards the jews. They said that jews were Unpatriotic and didn’t have good behaviour. Of course, they are very racist and put this excuses to eliminate them, so that the arian race was the only one in Germany. This two people were too keen and loved very much their country, they didn’t want it to be “infected” with jews.
5. Hitler stated that,” The German boy must be slim,with long limbs, rapid as a hare, tough as leather and solid as steel”. They had to be the typical blond, tall and blue eyed boys. They were ready to create a new race: The Arian race.
6. The first democratic president after World War 1, in Germany, was Frederick Ebert.
7. The nazi revolutionary movement (Hitler’s movement) attacked the democratic government.
8. He modified the D.A.P. into N.S.D.A.P. ( National socialist party). This organization was better known as the Nazi movement in Germany.
9. Hitler supported anti-semitism, because he said that it was the best strategy for attracting nationalist militians.
1889 April 20
He was born in the small Austrian village of Braunau Am Inn just across the border from German Bavaria.
Alois Hitler died at his 65
Adolf Hitler Moves to Vienna, where He Acquires His Anti-Semitic Beliefs
1907 Jan 14
Adolf Hitler’s mother, Klara, dies
At first he avoided military service but then Adolf Hitler serves in World War I
2) Corporal Hitler was a dispatch runner, he took messages from trench to trench, and it was a very dangerous job. He was a very lucky guy because maybe some minutes after he was on a on a trench this one was bombard.
During the post war Hitler:
• Got together all the member of the right wing of the political party he belongs to.
• He also creates the S.A. to protect him and his partners during the political meetings.
• He crates the flag which in the future was going to be the symbol of the Nazi.
• He triplicates the number of people who belong to his political party.
• In 1919 he joined the Thule Society
• He creates the official news paper of the Nazi
• Hess and Goering joined Hitler. Hess would became Hitler’s secretary and Goering would become an instigator of the concentration camps
3) Hitler reaction was increasing the hatred against Jews and blaming them for everything that had happened to Germany
4) At the end of 1916 Ludendorff & Hindenburg order a recount of the Jews soldiers which they suspected they had an unpatriotic behavior
5) The Aryan stereotype were the German man that had blond hair, blue eyes, that they were slim with long limbs , rapid as a hare . Though as leather and solid as steel
6) The first democratic president after ww1 was Friedrich Ebert
7) There was a revolution in Germany. All the political parties were fighting to have the power and to be the one who created the solution for all the problems of Germany, to find a solution for the poverty and the unemployment.
The one who attracted the democratic government were the Communist, the Nationalist and the Royalist
8) Hitler created the t National Socialist German Workers Party (NSDAP)
9) He thought it was the only way in which he could have the attention of nationalist militants
1) 1889: He born
1908: His mother died and he moved to Vienna, to be an artist.
As he wasn’t admitted in the in the museum. He started to survive of postcards.
2) He had to carry messages. He had to run from a trench to another one, delivering the messages of the soldiers. This assignment was very dangerous assignment. Although, being in a war was very dangerous. It was very dangerous because he had to go over a place to another one every day and he could be killed on the way. He starts to give talks giving his opinion and his thoughts. He was getting to his career as a politician.
3) He didn’t like it. He thought these terms were very stronger. He thought as many of the German people that they haven’t have to be punishing for starting the war because they had to share. In addition to this, he thought Germany didn´t have to sign this treaty, so that’s why he didn’t like the Kaiser, because he signed it. But he signed it because he didn’t have any other choice.
4) They remade the army, taking out the jews soldiers suspected of unbetray behavior. They made this because they were ultranationalist. This was racist because they discriminated them, they didn’t thinks jews were good people so they take them out. They didn´t want jews to defend their country, they wanted themselves to be protect
5) It was that the Jew people were discriminated. You were considerate jew if one or more grandfathers were jew. It didn’t matter if you were rich, poor, old, young, it you were only discriminated because of being jew. He also believed the stereotype was blue eyed blond and slim. He wanted to create a new race. They had a symbol which represented this stereotype.
6) The 1st democratic president in Germany at the end of WW1 was Friedrich Ebert.
7) Germany was in a state of revolution. Poles, Italians and jews.
8) He created the political party: National Socialist German Workers Party (nsdap).
9) Because he thought it could caught the support of militants who were nationalists as him.
-1905: He left school intending to become a painter.
-1907- 1908: Her mother Klara died and after that he moved to Vienna where he applied to the Viennese Academy of Fine arts, but was twice turned down.
-1913: Hitler moved to Munich
-1914: He avoided Austrian military service
2) At WW1 Hitler did a very dangerous job, he was a messenger from 1914 until 1918. He also became blind after a gas attack, and he went to hospital. After the War he became a fanatical nationalist and he wanted to restore the great power of Germany. In 1919 Adolf Hitler was still in the Army and lived in Munich where he had become an informer. Hitler had named soldiers in his barracks that supported the Marxist uprisings in Jewish Munich, resulting in their arrest and executions. He became undercover agents in the German Army weeding out Marxist influence within the ranks and investigating subversive political organizations. The Army sent him to a political indoctrination course held at the University of Munich. He delivered tirades against the Jews that were well received by the weary soldiers who were looking for someone to blame for all their misfortunes. Hitler took charge of party propaganda in early 1920, and also recruited young men he had known in the Army. In February of 1920, Hitler urged the German Workers’ Party to holds its first mass meeting. By the end of 1920 it had about three thousand members. In 1921 he traveled to Berlin to visit nationalist groups. Hitler rushed back to Munich and countered them by announcing his resignation from the Party. He also announced he would return on the condition that he was made chairman and given dictatorial powers. In January 12, 1922 Adolf Hitler was sentenced to three months for disturbance and in the 24 he was incarcerated but in July 27 he is released.
3) Hitler like many other Germans, thought the treaty of Versailles was a completely unjust, that it was very harsh and that they weren’t the only country responsible for the First World War. He also was angry because they were the only country that disarmed after the war. Many soldiers supported him with is idea of the unfair treaty and they met in the biggest breweries. We can also see that he was against of the treaty, when after some years he started to brake all the terms, for example he entered again the Rhineland or he started rearming the country again.
4) At the end of 1916 Ludendorff and Hindenburg had an ultra- nationalist gesture, ordered a recount of the Jewish soldiers which they suspected of unpatriotic behavior.
5) Most Germans were dark-haired and dark-eyed, contrary to the Aryan stereotype that was a pure and superior race, with blue eyes. Hitler said “they must be slim, with long limbs, rapid as a hare, tough as leader and solid as steel”.
6) Ebert Friedrich was the first democratic president after WW1.
7) There was much political unrest. The Sparticist Uprising of January 1919 in Berlin and there was a Soviet Republic in Munich. Somewhat later there were attempts by extreme Right-wing elements to stage a Putsch. There were political assassinations like the assassination of Rathenau Erzberger. There was inflation. The new government had to sign the Treaty of Versailles and this brought Germany to an economic downturn. They had to accept a lot of harsh terms, like disarming or giving land. The French and the Belgian took the Ruhr area, and this caused hyperinflation. Germany adopted a new Constitution in 1919; the various attempts to overthrow the government by force failed and were suppressed. The Constitution of 1919 seemed to work and the German Nationalists seemed to be a distraction and an anachronism. In 1926 Germany was accepted in the League of Nations.
8) He was in the right extreme group. He group was nationalist and socialist, the NAZI party; (The National Socialist German Workers Party) existed between 1920 and 1945. Initially Nazi political strategy focused on anti-big business, anti-bourgeois, and anti-capitalist , though such aspects were later downplayed to gain the support of industrial owners for the Nazis, and in the 1930s focus was shifted to anti Semitism and anti-Marxist themes.
9) He supported the anti Semitism because he thought that if during the war they had killed the corrupt Jews, the sacrifice of millions of men had not been in vain. He also was against them, because Germany was in a period in which their economy was in declaim, and Jews weren’t bad like them, because their jobs were doing very well so they were in a good economic position.